Thursday, October 29, 2009

Fun Stories

On Saturday, I went to Trader Joe's and while I was checking out, I kept hearing "Cheese! Cheese!" I looked over and saw two young kids getting their picture taken from multiple people with a VERY large pumpkin. I asked the cashier what was going on, and she said they just won the huge pumpkin. People guessed the weight, and whoever was closest, would get the pumpkin. It was one hundred and seventy something pounds! The people had two vehicles! One for humans and one for another human and a human-sized pumpkin! The cashier finishes ringing me up, says the total, and then says "Oh wait, is this tote yours as well?" To which I answer yes, and she says my new total and then...
"And that makes you a winner!" She starts ringing a bell VERY LOUDLY!!!! "Go pick out a gourd!!!!!!"
I'm just staring at her confused, and to be honest, in the back of my mind, I'm thinking, please don't send me home with a huge pumpkin! My car isn't very big! She points to a small sign that says "If your total is between (I can't remember the exact numbers) you win a prize!" and so I picked a gourd that had a prize written on it, and it was a tote.
The second story I have to share happened right before the Celebration tea. I have been wanting a church cookbook for literally, a year. Ever since last years tea. But I could never remember to bring the money to buy one. I decided that I WAS going to buy one this year. I had to practice my song for the tea early, so I took my money then. I saw our church secretary setting up her table, so I asked if she knew anything about the cookbooks. Our pastors wife happened to be walking by, and she said she was sorry, but she had just given the last one away. If she had known I had wanted one... Then she looks at the church secretay, and says they've done two printings of the cookbook, and it's been about 10 years since it was done. I think she's going to suggest another printing, but I wasn't expecting the next words to come out of her mouth! "It's probably time to do another cookbook. We just need someone to head up the project. Elizabeth, would you do that?" Huh? I just wanted a cookbook! However, I actually feel more equipped to do that then set up a tea table, so I eventually agreed. I just think it's humorous that I went from wanting to purchase a cookbook, to putting one together!

No comments:

Post a Comment