Wednesday, October 28, 2009

My story of Celebration Tea

Last Saturday was my crazy event number two for October. Last year, I had Apple at the beginning of October and my life changed COMPLETELY!!! For several days (or weeks!) I only put on normal clothes when I knew people were coming over or I had to take her to the doctors, stuff like that. I never fixed my hair or put on make-up. Then, at the end of October, it was time for my church's Celebration Tea. I had never gone before because it always happens the exact time of a high school choir event that I was required to be in attendance. But, last year, I was on maternity leave, so I took my chance to attend. I put my hair in rollers, put on real clothes, put on some makeup, and left my daughter for the first time. (Don't worry, I did take the rollers out of my hair, too!) It was amazing. The tables were incredibly beautiful! The food was fantastic! I had actual conversation! The speaker reminded me (indirectly) that there is more to life than breastfeeding and changing dirty diapers! Everthing about this event was elegant and made to transport women to a different mind-set than the everyday. I was also intimidated. I knew that while I loved this event, I would never really be able to help out with one, because I have no talent for decorating. Fast forward to early this fall. I have promised myself that while I KNEW I would be attending the tea, if I was asked to host a table I would say no. It was beyond my ability. They asked. Somehow the word yes came out of my mouth. Shoot. What do I do now? I'm convinced that I will have the "hobo" table. Everyone will walk around admiring the beauty of the tables, until they come to mine. Their eyebrows will scrunch together, their lips will show confusion, and their head will tilt. "I wonder who came up with this table?" They will silently ask. And then I had an idea. I will taken the handmade table cloth from my husband's country and the vases that I have bought there and design a table around that. It was stressful. For me and my husband. But it came together. And the truth is, it looked quite nice. I don't think one person thought it was a "hobo" table. Here are some pictures of the finished product.




I was also afraid that I had built the tea up in my mind, way better than it really is. But I had not. All the tables were again, SO beautiful. The food was great (especially the Oreo with chocolate mousse, coated in chocolate!!!!!) The music was beyond amazing! (Just kidding, I sang) and the speaker was great. She talked about God's faithfulness. People sat at my table and I think we had good conversation. It was an amazing event, and I'm so glad that God allowed me to help serve, and especially helped me to make the table nice. God is faithful indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment