Thursday, October 1, 2009

Elastic stretch pants

Here is a quote that I found interesting from a book that I recently read. The woman has been talking about the Israelites receiving manna.

Another characteristic of the manna spoke beautifully of God's mercy: It would always be given in perfect supply for the need. God's measure of mercy is offered according to the need. That is why we often say the words, "I could never endure it if that happened to me." In the moment we say those words, our ratio of mercy matches our present need. True, on that exact amount of mercy, we could not survive. But when the time arises and the need escalates, so does the grace required for us to make it!

I thought this was interesting, because I have recently decided that stress works kind of the same way. I know people (and may occassionally be one of them!) who look at someone else who says that they are stressed out, and think, that is not stressed out!!!!! You should be doing all the stuff that I'm doing, and then you'll know what stress is!!! However, I think the amount of stress we can handle is like stretch pants. They can be tight on all sorts of sizes.

Speaking of stress levels, mine could be better. Actually, it was fantastic. After being a working mom for 5 months, the ease of staying at home will probably last awhile. Working and being a mom was VERY difficult for me. I felt like I was running on a treadmill that was 5.9 mph when my capacity is only 5.95 mph. However, I agreed to do some stuff for our church, one thing in particular that I PROMISED myself that I would NOT agree to do, if asked. And somehow, the word yes came out of my mouth.

A close friend, who George and I used to make fun of for being on the church's "sucker's" list, informed me that since I had promised myself to say no, and they church did indeed ask, that not only put me firmly on the sucker's list, but it also means that I am indeed a sucker. Sad thing is, I agree!!!!

I probably should have warned you that this post would have lots of !!!!!! Oh well! If I can survive to November, my stress level will go way down. Unfortunately, so will the stretch pants!



Also, here is a list of the books that I read this week. This is probably more for me that you, so maybe I can keep track.

Mending Place by Denise Hunter not my favorite.
Piece de Resistance by Sandra Byrd final book in series, didn't like how series ended
A Time to Mend by Sally John and Gary Smalley actually enjoyed it
3 Weddings and a bar mitzvah by Melody Carlson ok, final book in series

2 comments:

  1. Never view service as being a sucker...I know your post was tongue in cheek, but don't let that attitude creep in! Just be careful of what you say yes to...there are lots of good things that can take up your time and resources, but God only calls each of us to do what we can...and that doesn't mean everything! Look for the best that God has for your life and concentrate on doing a few things really well instead of stretching too thin. That being said, I belive that service to others should always be a part of lives - a legacy I hope to share with my children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I definitely think you are a sucker, cherry flavored! :)

    ReplyDelete