Thursday, October 22, 2009

Singing away!

Well, I have finished one big project that I undertook for October. George and I sang for a banquet at our church for the 55 and older crowd. Now, while I taught music and am not a stranger to performing, I have never been overly fond of it. My husband however LOVES it. He sings, but I don't think either one of us would call him a singer. He is, however, a FANTASTIC saxophone player. When we were in college, as a freshman, I wouldn't even try out for the top band, but George not only tried out, he was featured in one of the songs in their first concert! By the way, I did try out the next year (I play flute) and made the 5th and last chair. Eventually, I was able to work myself up to second chair.

Anyway, we sang for the Celebration banquet. We made a list of songs we thought we could do, then realized that it was about 2 hours, and they wanted about 45 minutes, so we got to cut stuff. That was a GOOD thing!!!! Here's a list of what we sang and how it went.

Testify to Love -- honestly, complete disaster!!!!!
The Power of Your Love -- it went well, but it wasn't anything special
Savior, Please -- George sang this and played guitar He has an unpolished tone, so it worked really well.
We Shall Behold Him -- I didn't sing the version that goes up to a high D, as I can only hit a high C about every other week, so I sang in the key that goes to an A. It actually went really well. Unfortunately, the sound system had problems at the end, when it gets really high, so it was JUST my voice. Thankfully, I was able to hold it together.

Then George gave his testimony.

Born Again -- George played guitar. Went very well.

Before the next song, we had some more technical difficulties. To help cover it I said the following: "I wish I had a joke to you guys! Oh wait! If you're an American in the living room, what are you in the bathroom? European!" That's right. I said that joke in our
church! I still can't believe it! Thankfully, they laughed for awhile!

Go Light Your Candle -- George played it on saxophone. Went well.
If You Want Me to -- went well, I'll be singing it again on Saturday
Wedding Song -- George wrote a song for our wedding, and he sang it. The crowd loved it!!! But the main line is "God uses miracles to show us what is real and what is true. Baby, my miracle was you." Except, the piano was facing the wrong way (he was playing piano) so it kinda seemed like he was singing to an older man! :)
The Word -- George played guitar, I sang. It was a BIG hit!
There is a Fountain -- HUGE hit!
Great is Thy Faithfulness -- Another HUGE hit!

If you're thinking, "Huh. That's a lot!" Why, yes. Yes it was! And it was hard to put together, and then to actually do, but I think God used it to stretch us. It will be interesting to see what he was stretching us for!

3 comments:

  1. I can't believe you made that joke in church, well, ok actually I can! Too funny. And... for years we hear about that wedding song and we miss it! Please tell me you recorded this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lily came home with that European joke last week. So, I've now heard it twice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least she didn't say the joke in front of about 100 seniors!!! In a church!!!

    And good, it's a funny joke!

    ReplyDelete